Saturday, March 1, 2014

OSCAR OSCAR WHO WILL WIN: Best Picture



We are 24 hours out from the red carpet frenzy precursor that is the Academy Awards. With that I have but one category left. Best Picture. Before that, I give you what will likely be my favorite thing to come out of the Oscar broadcast. Ellen Degeneres host promo. It's light, fun and the fastest smile inducing minute I saw all week.



I have never been a fan of the 10 best picture nominees, because in truth, there are never that many active competitors in this category, 2013 is no different. This is a 3 way competition between American Hustle, Gravity and 12 Years a Slave. The interesting part of this trio is that they are so uniquely different. I didn't love any of these films but understand what has brought them to the forefront of Oscar night. They each represent everything we love about movies. A film that is a giant playground for actors we've come to love (American Hustle). A movie unlike anything we've ever seen on screen (Gravity). A film with subject, scale and depth that makes it epic on its face (12 Years a Slave). It is why I honestly think any could take home the big prize tomorrow night. However in a year that lacks any true momentum, the best bet would be 12 Years a Slave.

Best Picture

Will Win: 12 Years a Slave
Should Win: I think (and would love to see a tie) Gravity/12 Years a Slave



No comments:

Post a Comment