Saturday, July 13, 2013

What I believe - Trayvon Martin and the inevitable verdict

I believe a young man is dead who shouldn't be.

I believe the Sanford police department did not care about the fact that this young man was dead and that response set in motion a trajectory that has led to this acquittal.

I believe another young man made a series of decisions that caused Trayvon Martin's death and regardless of what a jury says he is responsible for the actions he took that night.

I believe we will never know what truly transpired between those two men that fateful night.

I believe the prosecution had a circumstantial case and didn't present it strongly.

I believe the prosecution didn't meet it's burden of proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

I believe if George Zimmerman stayed in his car and let the police respond we wouldn't be here today.

I believe too many households had their worst fears affirmed tonight.

I believe the dignity, faith and grace of Sybrina Fulton and Tracy Martin tells us everything we need to know about the son they mourn.

I believe that the news media and commentary will blur over the next 72 hours amounting to what can best be characterized as "sound and fury signifying nothing".

I believe a young man died needlessly and as a mother grieve the fact that he won't be last.


Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury
Signifying nothing.
— Macbeth

No comments:

Post a Comment